A woman who became ill after using a bug spray is suing the manufacturers of the spray in federal court. A man bought a can of termite and ant control spray from Lowe's. He followed the directions on the can and wore glasses and long sleeves while using the product in his basement. He also left the basement windows open for four to five hours. The next day, he had a headache, nausea and a rapid heartbeat. Because of the odor and his physical symptoms, he stayed out of his home for the next five or six days.
The man's wife, who was out of town when he originally sprayed the home, returned home about three months later. She reported that the home still smelled terrible. She stayed only about an hour to open the windows, but her lips began to burn and she felt lightheaded. She also began experiencing nausea, headaches, dizziness, eye irritation and other problems. She was diagnosed a year later with restrictive airway disease, which is attributable to her exposure to pesticides. A toxicology expert claims that the home is uninhabitable.
The couple has sued Lowe's and the chemical companies involved in manufacturing the products. A federal judge dismissed the suit against Lowe's, but is allowing the rest of the lawsuit to continue.
If these claims are true, this couple's home has been in effect destroyed by the negligent actions of a pesticide company. On a daily basis, companies across the U.S. manufacture products which are terribly dangerous for consumers. Some of these products produce only minor injuries. However, many of these products cause lifelong injuries or even death. These companies often try to avoid taking responsibility for the illnesses and injuries their products cause.
Companies who make millions in profits by selling their products should not be able to avoid liability when their products are unsafe and harm a consumer. Call the personal injury attorneys at Kennedy Hodges at 888-894-0119 if you have been harmed by a defective consumer product. You can also reach out to us on Twitter.