Ice Cream Contamination Kills Three

Comments (0)

The Blue Bell ice cream company has had an outbreak of listeriosis in its ice cream products, which prompted the first recall of the company’s products in its 108 year history. Five people in Kansas developed listeriosis after eating products that were made at one production line at the Blue Bell creamery in Brenham, Texas. Three of the people who developed listeriosis died. 

The bacteria was found in Almond Bars, Chocolate Chip Country Cookies, No Sugar Added Moo Bars, Great Divide Bars, Vanilla Stick Slices, Sour Pop Green Apple Bars, Scoops, and Cotton Candy Bars. The company says its other products, including its gallons, quarts, and pints of ice cream and other take home snacks were uncontaminated.

According to the CDC, the people who developed listeriosis were probably sickened in the hospital. All five were receiving treatment for unrelated health issues at the same hospital. Four of the patients had consumed milkshakes while at the hospital, with a single serving Blue Bell ice cream product called “Scoops”. Information on the fifth patient was unavailable.

The company removed the products from the market as soon as it learned about the contamination. It traced the contamination to a machine that extrudes ice cream into forms and onto cookies. That machine is still out of operation.

When a company produces a product that harms consumers, the company can be held liable for negligence. The company may be sued and forced to pay damages including lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more. If you have been harmed by a defective product, call Kennedy Hodges at 888-894-0119, or visit us on Facebook

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."

Name:*

Email:* (will not be published)

Message:*

Notify me of follow-up comments via email.