Protect Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Comments (0)

The deaths of two families in Maryland and New York this month from carbon monoxide poisoning have served as a grim reminder to the nation of how dangerous carbon monoxide can be. In Maryland, eight family members were killed after they used a generator to heat their home. In New York, an elderly couple, their tenant, and a friend were killed when they left a vehicle running in the garage. 

About 500 Americans die each year from exposure to carbon monoxide. Another 4,000 are hospitalized, and 20,000 come to the emergency room as a result of exposure to the gas. Symptoms of exposure can be mild, and usually begin with a headache and sleepiness. Some people experience nausea and shortness of breath. The CDC recommends that everyone install at least one carbon monoxide detector in their home. If people live in multi-story homes, they should have detectors on every floor.

The most common sources of carbon monoxide are internal combustion engines, and heating systems. Gas appliances should be ventilated correctly. Generators, camping stoves, and camping ovens should not be used indoors. Early treatment is critical for carbon monoxide exposure. Symptoms can occur in minutes.

If you experience carbon monoxide poisoning, you may have legal rights. In some cases, the exposure to carbon monoxide was through the negligence of someone else, such as a landlord, a company that manufactured a defective appliance, or another party. Call the Houston personal injury attorneys at Kennedy Hodges at 855-947-0707 to find out how we can help. Schedule your free consultation today. 

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."

Name:*

Email:* (will not be published)

Message:*

Notify me of follow-up comments via email.