Toy Maker Ordered to pay Family $435K over Toy Bead Poisoning

Comments (0)

Spin Master has been ordered to pay $435,000 to the family of a child who was poisoned after swallowing toy beads from a gram. The game was called Aqua Dots. The beads in the game were coated with a substance that dissolves into the same chemical as a date-rape drug. Aqua Dots has been recalled. This jury verdict is the first against the game’s makers because of the dangerous game, but more are expected. 

The child was 16 months old at the time of the accident. He ate candy-colored Aqua Dots beads and was rushed to the hospital in July 2007, where he fell into a coma. The family alleges that the exposure to the beads left their son with brain damage and potentially millions of dollars in lifetime medical bills. They claim that the chemical on the beads converts to GHB, a date rape drug. They say that the jury’s award will not cover the ongoing costs of treating their son’s injuries. They vow to appeal a judge’s ruling that they could not seek punitive damages against the toy company.

The toy company shipped Aqua Dots without any cautions. The game’s box said that the beads were non-toxic and were sugar based. The attorneys for the companies involved said that the Chinese company that was hired to produce the toys switched coatings on the beads without telling the defendants. The Chinese manufacturer was not sued because it does not do business in the U.S.

If you have been harmed by a consumer product, such as a toy, you need to act right away to protect your legal rights. Call the Houston personal injury attorneys at Kennedy Hodges at 855-947-0707. You can also visit us on our YouTube Channel to learn more. 

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."

Name:*

Email:* (will not be published)

Message:*

Notify me of follow-up comments via email.