What should I do if I think I have suffered lead poisoning?
Lead can be extremely dangerous for children, particularly to their brains while they are developing. Unfortunately, a few decades ago lead based paint was commonplace, and many older properties still have lead based paint on the walls, which can peel or generate dust. If children eat or inhale lead paint, they can suffer from brain damage, seizures, mental retardation, injuries to the nervous system, and even death. Even a brief amount of exposure to a small amount of lead can seriously injure a child.
There are also other ways lead poisoning can occur. Toys that contain lead paint can be very dangerous because younger children may put them in their mouths. Many toys that contain lead paint are imported from other countries. For example, in 2007 Fisher Price recalled almost one million toys that had a high lead content that came from a Chinese vendor.
Costume jewelry is another common source of lead poisoning for children. It is impossible to tell if jewelry contains lead by looking at it, so it's important to avoid giving children under the age of six any type of jewelry made with metal, because it could contain lead. In 2005, over 150 million pieces of children's jewelry were recalled in the U.S. because of a high lead content.
Some early symptoms of lead poisoning can include a loss of appetite, stomach aches, lethargy, irritability, insomnia and constipation. If lead exposure isn't treated early, it can lead to long-term health problems. If you believe your child has been exposed to lead, a doctor can conduct a blood test that will be able to detect lead exposure.
If your child has suffered brain damage or other medical issues because of lead exposure, contact an attorney immediately. You may be able to sue the property owner or the toy or jewelry manufacturer, or another responsible party. If you're in the Houston area, call the Houston personal injury attorneys at Kennedy Hodges at 713-489-9493 to learn more about how to protect your legal rights.