I was harmed in the apartment of a friend in Houston. Who can I sue for my injuries – my friend or his landlord?

Comments (0)

I’m sorry to hear about your accident. Whom you can sue depends on the lease between your friend and his or her landlord as well as the details of what occurred. 

If the accident occurred on the common grounds of the apartment complex – such as on a sidewalk, the pool area, or the clubhouse, the landlord will most likely be the responsible party. However, that does not mean that just because there was an accident, that the landlord is responsible. The injured party must be able to prove that a dangerous condition on the property existed that the landlord either knew about or should have known about. 

If the accident occurred inside the apartment of the friend, it depends on the term of the lease. If the tenant has exclusive control over the area where the accident occurred, the tenant may be responsible. However, it’s common for residential leases to have no details about who controls what. A court will also look at the actions of all of the parties involved. 

Premises liability cases can be tricky. If you have been harmed by a dangerous condition at a residence or a business, you should speak with an attorney. You may be eligible for compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Call the Houston premises liability attorneys at Kennedy Hodges at 855-947-0707. We can help. Call us today or visit our LinkedIn page to learn more about the firm.

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.