I was mistreated and injured by police in Houston. Can I sue the police department?

Comments (0)

I’m sorry to hear that you were injured by Houston police. You may be able to sue the police department or the city, depending on the situation.

Most police officers take their jobs seriously and do not misuse their authority. Police officers have very difficult jobs and face dangers almost daily. There is a huge amount of authority placed in the hands of officers to enforce laws and to protect those who depend on them. Unfortunately, sometimes power corrupts officers and they do not obey the laws that they enforce.

In addition to police brutality, which includes physical violence and the excessive use of force, police can also abuse their power in other ways. Some officers engage in racial profiling, which occurs when a racial prejudice motivates the actions of a police officer. Police officers may perform illegal searches, including illegal strip searches that are done to humiliate the victims. Police officers may intimidate victims into compliance with the threat of arrest or violence. In extreme cases, police officers may use their position of authority to threaten victims into sexual contact.

If you are the victim of police misconduct in Houston, you may feel hopeless, but you have options. You should gather any evidence of what occurred, including pictures of your injuries and of the crime scene. If anyone witnessed the incident you should obtain contact information for the witnesses.

If you believe you have been a victim of wrongful police conduct in Houston, you should speak with an attorney. Call the Houston personal injury attorneys at Kennedy Hodges at 855-947-0707. We can help. Call us today to learn more or to schedule a free consultation on your case.

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.