If a family member commits suicide, can I sue for damages?

Comments (0)

I am very sorry to hear of the death of your family member. Suicide is a huge problem in the U.S., with approximately 40,000 people a year committing suicide. Suicides are the eleventh leading cause of death in the U.S. Suicide is also the second leading cause of death among people aged 25 to 34, and the third leading cause of death among people age 15 to 24.

In many cases, the family of a suicide victim may not be able to sue for damages, because there may not be anyone directly liable for the suicide. However, in many cases there is a responsible party. In some situations, the individuals who commit suicide may be under the care of a psychiatrist, or may even be in a psychiatric hospital when the suicide occurs. In that situation, the doctor of the facility may be held liable for failing to anticipate the suicide or to prevent it.

Another situation in which a family may be able to sue for suicide is if the deceased was using certain prescription drugs at the time of his or her death. In recent years the drugs Chantix (an anti-smoking drug) and Lyrica (for diabetics) have been found to have suicidal thoughts as a side effect.

A far less common scenario is one in which the deceased was the victim of atrocious behavior from another person, which led to the suicide. Those cases are difficult to pursue since most people have to deal with very difficult people at some point in their lives, but the cases can be successful in some situations.

If you are seeking a personal injury attorney who can help with a wrongful death lawsuit in the Houston area, call the personal injury attorneys at Kennedy Hodges at 855-947-0707. Our team may be able to help. Call us today to learn more or to schedule a free consultation. You can also learn more about our firm on Twitter

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.