My baby and I were RH incompatible and my doctor in Houston failed to diagnose the problem, resulting in birth injuries. Can I sue the doctor?

Comments (0)

I’m sorry to hear about your medical issues. Rh incompatibility is not uncommon. It results when a woman is pregnant with an Rh positive child, and she is Rh negative. In that situation, antibodies may be created that can cause very serious injuries to the child and can potentially cause a miscarriage or a stillborn baby.

If a mother is Rh negative, there must be monitoring and proper precautions taken. The patient’s doctor should diagnose Rh incompatibility and treat it accordingly. If a doctor fails to diagnose or properly treat the condition, the consequences can be disastrous.

When a woman who has a negative blood type is exposed to positive blood (such as through a pregnancy), the body begins to create antibodies in order to create an autoimmune response to the child. The body perceives the child as a foreign body in the bloodstream. In many cases, the issue does not arise until after a woman’s first pregnancy. Rh incompatibility can occur due to exposure to Rh positive blood as the result of a blood transfusion, the abortion of an Rh positive child, or fetal hemorrhaging during the pregnancy.

If an Rh negative mother becomes pregnant, a medication is commonly prescribed which can help prevent the formation of antibodies. If the antibodies have already been produced, the child must be closely monitored throughout the pregnancy. If the condition is correctly treated and diagnosed, there should be no cause for concern.

If you believe that your doctor failed to administer the proper tests or provide the correct care during your pregnancy, and your child was harmed as a result, you should speak with an attorney. If you are in Houston, call the Houston medical malpractice attorneys at Kennedy Hodges at 855-947-0707. We can help. Call us today to learn more or to schedule a free consultation on your case.

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.