My niece/nephew was mistreated in the Texas foster care system. What can I do?

Comments (0)

We are so sorry to hear about your niece or nephew who was harmed in the foster care system. Unfortunately, mistreatment or abuse in the foster care system is not that uncommon. Children are normally placed in foster care because their parents can no longer provide proper care for them, their homes are not safe, or they do not have a parent or guardian to care for them. It’s an extremely sad situation when a child who has been removed from one home is placed into a situation that’s possibly even worse.

Foster homes are intended to provide a temporary home for a child, with the goal of finding a long-term home for the child. Foster care is designed to provide a safe and loving environment for children, but that’s not always the case. Children may suffer from physical abuse, emotional abuse, or sexual abuse in a foster home.

There are a number of reasons why abusive conditions may exist in the foster care system. The foster care families may not be properly screened before becoming a part of the system. The social workers or other employees who are in charge of monitoring the children may be overwhelmed with cases and may be too busy to monitor the children for which they are responsible. The children may be moved frequently, which could allow abusive situations to go unnoticed.

If the foster care system fails to take the proper safeguards in order to place children in a safe foster care environment, the child may bring a cause of action against the foster care system for his or her damages. Foster children who are mistreated while in foster care have the right to bring a cause of action against the negligent agency for the abusive conduct. A guardian may be required to bring the lawsuit.

If your loved one has been harmed in the foster care system, it may be time to speak with an attorney who can help recover compensation for the physical and emotional damages suffered by the child. Call the Houston personal injury attorneys at Kennedy Hodges at 855-947-0707. We can help. Call us today to learn more or to schedule a free consultation. You can also visit our Facebook page to learn more.  

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.