Toll-Free: 855-947-0707
Phone: 202-796-6662
Kennedy Hodges L.L.P.

What can I do if I suspect my elderly loved one is being mistreated in a nursing home?

Comments (0)

Unfortunately, the elderly are often easy prey in this country for a variety of forms of abuse. Many have problems communicating, as well as health problems. This can make them susceptible to elder abuse, including physical abuse, negligent treatment, sexual abuse, financial abuse and emotional abuse.

nursing-home.jpgOften, this abuse includes in a nursing home or another residential facility. Most loved ones put a lot of thought into picking out the best nursing home that their loved one can afford, and they expect the individual to receive excellent treatment in the home. However, nursing homes are often poorly managed and that can result in poor treatment. A nursing home may not have enough staff, either to make higher profits or because it is poorly run. When there aren't enough workers, the residents of the home may receive poor care and not enough attention.

A nursing home may also fail to take the proper procedures to insure that they are hiring high-quality employees. If they fail to run a criminal background check, to check references or to call previous employers, they may end up with a horrible employee. The employee may have a history of abuse, financial fraud or other criminal behaviors. It is the responsibility of a nursing home to thoroughly investigate their employees before allowing them to work with the vulnerable elderly in the facility.

If you suspect your loved one is being mistreated or neglected in a nursing home,nursinghome.jpg there are steps you should take. First, be on the lookout for warning signs, such as weight loss, bed sores, injuries, or a sudden change in assets. If you see signs of abuse, take action immediately. Report your suspicions to the nursing home, and if you aren't satisfied with the explanation, call the authorities.

You may also wish to call the Houston personal injury attorneys at Kennedy Hodges at 713-489-9493. Your elderly loved one may be entitled to compensation for his or her injuries or mistreatment. Call us today to learn more about your options.

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.