Our Frequently Asked Questions Section Gives You the Information You Need to Know About
- Page 11
Are warnings about Benicar use side effects sufficient to protect the maker from suit?
Simply because a drug company reveals that there is a potential for negative side effects following the use of certain medication does not excuse the drug company from potential liability. Some patients, for example, may have used the drug before the warnings were made prominent or public and are only now experiencing the adverse side effects. This issue is highlighted in the recent lawsuits involving the use of the medication Benicar. While the warning labels for this drug were updated in 2013, many patients are still pursuing lawsuits against the drug’s maker.
5 Facts About Benicar Use and Warnings of Adverse Side Effects
What are the issues relating to warnings and side effects associated with Benicar use? The following is an overview:
- Information about the potentially harmful side effects associated with Benicar use, including the risk of sprue-like enteropathy, was not added to the warning label until late in 2013.
- This revised warning label indicated that Benicar use may cause chronic diarrhea and weight loss.
- In addition, the revised warning label did not state until late 2013 that the risk of chronic diarrhea and weight loss may not appear until months or years after first using the drug.
- The updated warning label did not exist until more than 10 years after the drug was first approved for use.
- Further, the updated warning label did not exist until nearly a year after an independent report highlighted the number of Benicar users suffering from Celiac-like symptoms. This report was published in the May edition of Clinic Proceedings and showed that the symptoms stopped after medication use was discontinued.
Patients injured by Benicar use often claim that the drug’s maker did not do enough to warn them of the potential side effects. If you suffered such an injury, we can help you pursue a claim for compensation. We encourage you to check out our many client testimonials to learn more.
What are the allegations against Risperdal’s manufacturer?
Patients suffering from mental illness often turn to their physicians for help with managing their symptoms. In some cases, doctors may prescribe medication. One type of anti-psychotic drug that has been prescribed for certain conditions is known as Risperdal. The drug is manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson. The drug was first approved for use in individuals suffering from schizophrenia. It was later approved for treating bipolar disorder and irritability associated with autism spectrum disorders. Unfortunately, the use of the drug has since been linked to several potentially harmful side effects. Some patients who have taken the drug are accusing Janssen Pharmaceuticals of wrongdoing, and are pursuing lawsuits against the company as a result.
Five Accusations Against Risperdal’s Manufacturer
What are some of the accusations being made against Janssen Pharmaceuticals with regard to its drug Risperdal? The following is an overview:
- The manufacturer of the drug unlawfully promoted its use.
- The manufacturer of the drug marketed the medication for off-label uses. This means that the uses it promoted were not U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved.
- The manufacturer of the drug illegally incentivized medical professionals to prescribe their drug. Some of the perks that were allegedly offered to doctors included golf trips and drugs in exchange for prescribing the medication.
- The manufacturer should have noticed the potential side effects of the drug during its clinical trials of the medication.
- The manufacturer failed to discover the serious and life-altering side effects associated with Risperdal use during the rigorous testing process that the medication should have undergone before it was sold. Or, in the alternative, the company did discover these side effects, but chose to keep it a secret.
If you suffered harm as a result of taking Risperdal, we can help you protect your legal rights. Check out our many client testimonials to learn more about how we have helped other families obtain the compensation that they deserve.
Am I entitled to compensation if I am suffering from low hemoglobin as a result of using Xarelto?
Patients at risk of developing blood clots have often been subscribed the blood thinner Xarelto, a drug manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceutical. Unfortunately, despite the company’s claims otherwise, some of these patients have developed severe side effects as a result of using the drug. While the most serious potential complication associated with Xarelto use is internal bleeding, there are other complications that can impact a patient’s daily life as well. One such complication is low hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a protein in red blood cells that is responsible for carrying oxygen throughout the body. Patients who develop low hemoglobin must seek medical treatment.
Did You Suffer Side Effects From Xarelto? You May Be Entitled to Compensation
Increasingly, patients who have taken Xarelto and suffered side effects are filing lawsuits against the drug’s manufacturer. The company is accused of failing to warn of the dangers associated with the use of its medication. Patients who suffer harm after taking Xarelto may be entitled to compensation for their losses, including suffering associated with side effects such as low hemoglobin. If you took Xarelto and experienced complications as a result, we encourage you to do the following:
- Contact an experienced and knowledgeable attorney. It is important to have a strong legal team in your corner.
- Document your use of Xarelto and the various side effects you have experienced.
- Keep records of all of the medical treatment you have required as a result of using the drug.
- Gather a list of the expenses you have incurred caused by the side effects of Xarelto.
- Take action quickly. Every state has a maximum time limitation during which patients must file their injury claim. It is important not to delay so that you do not accidentally miss your window in which to file suit.
When you are ready to proceed, we can help. We have assisted many injured patients who suffered harm as a result of a dangerous drug or defective medical device. We encourage you to check out our many client testimonials to learn more.
What are some of the side effects linked to Benicar use?
When patients suffer from high blood pressure, many physicians prescribed the drug Benicar since its approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2002. In fact, it is one of the most commonly used blood pressure medications in the United States. The drug works by blocking an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB). By blocking the effects of ARB, the blood vessels can expand, reducing blood pressure. Unfortunately, use of this medication has also been linked to potentially serious and adverse side effects.
11 Side Effects That May Be Caused by Using Benicar
What are some of the adverse side effects that patients taking Benicar might experience? The following is an overview:
- Chronic diarrhea
- Severe weight loss
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Persistent coughing
- Increased risk of cancer
- Increased risk of death from heart problems for patients who suffer from diabetes in addition to their high blood pressure
Patients experiencing any of these symptoms after taking Benicar should seek immediate medical attention. Some of these adverse side effects could have potentially severe long-term effects. Fortunately, patients may also have a claim for compensation against the drug’s manufacturer, health care providers, or other parties. Strict time limitations apply to the ability to pursue such a claim. It is therefore crucial for Benicar patients to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible after suffering from adverse side effects. We can help provide the guidance that you are looking for, just as we have helped many other clients successfully pursue claims following injuries caused by dangerous medications. We encourage you to check out our many client testimonials to learn more.
Did taking Risperdal cause my pituitary gland tumors?
When a patient suffers from certain types of mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, doctors may prescribe the drug Risperdal. Unfortunately, studies have shown a link between the use of this drug and several types of potentially dangerous side effects. One example is the growth of pituitary gland tumors. While some of these tumors may be benign and potentially harmless, others can present serious complications that require surgery or radiation in order to treat.
An Overview of the Link Between Risperdal and Pituitary Tumor Growth
How can a schizophrenia drug like Risperdal lead to a potentially dangerous side effect like pituitary tumors? The following is an overview:
- The pituitary gland produces the hormone referred to as prolactin.
- Prolactin is the hormone that tells a woman’s breasts to enlarge and produce milk.
- When the body is functioning normally, a chemical called dopamine kicks in and halts the production of the prolactin.
- Risperdal acts to block dopamine. The positive aspect of this side effect is that the blocking of dopamine acts to reduce the patient’s psychotic symptoms.
- As a result, there is no mechanism to stop the production of prolactin by the pituitary gland.
- When prolactin is overproduced for an extended period of time, the pituitary gland can grow larger.
- Enlargement of the pituitary gland increases the risk of tumor growth.
If you or a loved one took Risperdal to treat a mental illness and suffered complications as a result, it is important to take action in order to protect your legal rights. We are here to guide you through this process. We encourage you to check out our many client testimonials to learn more about how we have successfully represented clients in the past.
What can I include as damages after an injury caused by Xarelto use?
With hundreds of lawsuits currently pending, the dangers associated with the use of the drug Xarelto are becoming well known against the medical and patient communities. This drug was originally marketed as a “better” alternative to popular blood-thinner Coumadin, due to its lack of monitoring requirement. Unfortunately, many patients who took the drug later suffered serious injuries or even death as a result. Several of these patients are now pursuing legal action against the designer, manufacturer, and marketers of this medication. Some of these lawsuits accuse the defendants of fraudulent misrepresentation. If you were injured after taking Xarelto, you may be entitled to pursue a claim for compensation as a result of your damages.
Ten Potential Damages Following Xarelto Use
In the lawsuits alleging fraudulent misrepresentation, the following are examples of the damages that are stated:
- Life-threatening or fatal bleeding
- Severe and personal injuries
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Diminished enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Shortened life expectancy
- Expenses for hospitalization and treatment
- Loss of earnings
- Attorney fees and other legal fees
The types of damages that you suffered as a result of your Xarelto use depend largely on the unique facts and circumstances surrounding your case. An experienced attorney can help you determine the best way to pursue a claim for compensation in order to maximize your chances of being made whole after suffering injury by this drug. If you are interested in learning more, we are here to help. Check out our many client testimonials to learn more about how we have helped other families obtain the compensation that they deserve.
I was prescribed Xarelto and suffered adverse side effects as a result, can I sue?
When a drug manufacturer fails to provide adequate warning to patients and physicians of a drug’s potential side effects and also fails to develop an antidote in order to minimize or prevent injury, it may be liable to victims who suffer injury or death as a result of using the drug. This is the case with the widely used blood thinner Xarelto. Hundreds of lawsuits are currently pending against the drug’s manufacturers as an increasing number of patients report dangerous side effects, injuries, and in some cases, death. Victims should consider pursuing a claim if they suffered injury after using the drug.
Parties Who Should Consider a Xarelto Lawsuit
Who can file a Xarelto lawsuit? The following is an overview:
- Patients who suffered serious injury after using Xarelto. Often, these injuries involve serious internal bleeding in the stomach, intestines, or brain. These patients are entitled to seek compensation for their past, present, and future medical bills. They may also seek compensation for lost income, loss of future productivity, and emotional suffering.
- If a patient took Xarelto and died as a result, their family members may file a Xarelto lawsuit. Family members may seek compensation for loss of consortium and companionship, reimbursement of medical expenses, funeral expenses, and psychological distress.
As with any type of injury, victims have only a limited period of time within which to file a claim after taking a dangerous medication. If you or a loved one became injured after using Xarelto, it is important to act quickly in order to protect your legal rights. We encourage you to check out our many client testimonials to learn more.
I was injured after taking Xarelto, am I entitled to compensation?
When a patient is prescribed a drug by a physician, it is reasonable for that patient to expect that the benefits of the medication outweigh any potential risks. Unfortunately, the manufacturers of one drug, Xarelto, may have failed to provide adequate warning to patients and their physicians as to the true dangers associated with its use. As a result, many patients have taken the drug without having full knowledge of the risks they were facing. This drug has now been linked to severe injuries and even death. Many lawsuits have now been filed as a result. If you were injured after taking this medication, you may be entitled to compensation.
Three Examples of Lawsuits Filed Following Xarelto Use
The drug’s manufacturer and its marketer, Bayer and Johnson & Johnson, are both the targets of lawsuits after injuries relating to Xarelto use. Some of the lawsuits currently being pursued include the following:
- A lawsuit filed in Pennsylvania by a patient who developed an uncontrolled brain bleed after taking the drug.
- A lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida by the wife of a patient who experienced uncontrolled bleeding following Xarelto use. The patient ultimately died as a result.
- A lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont by the family of a man who died after suffering uncontrolled brain bleeding. In this case, the patient reportedly suffered the internal bleeding just 10 days after he began taking the drug.
If you were injured following use of this drug, it is important to seek legal assistance. An experienced attorney can help you determine whether you have a potential claim for compensation. We have helped many clients obtain the compensation that they deserve. We encourage you to check out our many client testimonials to learn more.
Am I entitled to damages for my pain and suffering after a workplace injury?
If you are injured while working on the job, you may feel overwhelmed by the expenses that you now face. Medical and rehabilitative treatments are often extremely costly. In addition, you may be unable to return to work for a substantial amount of time following the accident. Emotionally, the pain and suffering you experience as a result of the accident may cause significant harm to your well-being. Victims of workplace injuries may be entitled to compensation for these various types of losses.
Six Kinds of Damages for Injured Workers
Injured workers may be entitled to compensation from a third party for their emotional pain and suffering after a workplace injury. Other types of damages that may be awarded due to a third-party injury claim include the following:
- Compensation for your medical expenses, both past and future
- Compensation for your loss of income, including future wages if you are unable to return to work
- Compensation for the expenses incurred as a result of your injuries
- Compensation for rehabilitation necessary to recover from your injury
- Compensation for disability or disfigurement that may result from your injury
- Compensation for your spouse for loss of consortium
In addition, in cases where employees are killed on the job, surviving family members may have a wrongful death claim in which they can recover further financial damages.
If you are considering a third-party injury claim after a workplace accident, we strongly recommend that you obtain guidance from a knowledgeable legal professional. We have helped many clients obtain the compensation that they deserve. We encourage you to check out our many client testimonials to learn more.
Am I entitled to compensation for the cost of my child’s treatment for Erb’s palsy?
Following a difficult labor and delivery, your child may suffer from a birth injury known as Erb’s palsy. The impact of this type of injury can range from mild to severe. Many babies suffering from Erb’s palsy require extensive treatment in order to recover. Patients are often referred to a treatment center where they are overseen by a team made up of neurologists, neurosurgeons, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and orthopedic surgeons.
Six Potential Treatments for Erb’s Palsy
What are some of the common types of treatment that a baby suffering from Erb’s palsy may have to endure? The following is an overview:
- Surgery. When surgery is recommended, it is usually performed within the first three to six months after birth.
- Exploratory surgery. This type of surgery is typically performed to remove scar tissue and neuromas in an attempt to repair the affected nerve. The doctor may also transplant a nerve from another part of the body in an attempt to repair nerve ruptures.
- Physical therapy. Erb’s palsy patients are often treated with gentle massages around the affected arm, range of motion exercises to improve arm strength and flexibility, and exercises to address nerve function.
- Botox injections into the affected area.
- Application of electrical stimulation to the affected area.
- Home care. Parents of Erb’s palsy patients are often instructed to gently massage their baby and perform physical therapy exercises while at home.
Unfortunately, the costs associated with these treatments can add up quickly. Victims and their families may need to pursue a legal claim against the delivering doctor or hospital in order to obtain compensation for these and other costs. We are here to help. Check out our many client testimonials to learn more about how we have helped other families obtain the compensation that they deserve.